This video stars my 11 year old daughter, Giulia, showing you how easy it is to use the train service between Roma Termini, the central train station in Rome, and Fiumicino, the main airport (also called Leonardo da Vinci).
For quick reference:
• trains leave every :22 minutes and :52 minutes after the hour from Rome to Fiumicino
• trains from Fiumicino to Roma Termini leave every :8 minutes and :38 minutes after the hour
• travel time is 30 minutes each way
• price is €14 each way – no difference between 1st and 2nd class, and children under 12 are free
• the train from Rome leaves from down at track 26/27 which takes about 15 minutes from the main gallery, so give yourself enough time to walk down there. Update: the train now leaves from the first set of tracks, which is much closer. Look for the “Leonardo Express”.
• for arrivals, make sure when you get off the train at Roma Termini that you know to proceed to the main gallery of the station to catch the buses & metro, or to exit the “main gallery”.
• as with all train travel in Italy, you must stamp your ticket in the yellow boxes on the platform or you risk getting a hefty fine (between €50 and €100)